New car season is almost here, and some fantastic new driving machines are about to hit the dealerships. Fortunately for us gearheads, publications such as Car & Driver have an army of secret agents out there watching the proving grounds and the factories to give us advanced notice of some of the fantastic new cars about to come our way.
Many of the biggest names in automobiles are about to bring out some really cool new vehicles. Car & Driver has created a list of the coolest new 2015 models that will begin appearing in showrooms.
Some of the Samurai’s favorite models for 2015 and 2016 include:’
- The Jaguar F-Type. This sleek two-door looks a little like an Austin Martin, but it has a host of new features. Those features include a choice of engines, a 3.0-liter V-6 or a super-charged 5-liter V-8 that can deliver up to 495 horsepower. The only drawback is that the F-Type will only be available with automatic transmission at first.
- The 2015 Ford Mustang. This is the one that a lot of muscle car fans have been waiting for, because 2014 marks the 50th year that Ford has built a Mustang. The 2015 model is slightly smaller, but auto writers are raving about some of the designs, including new LED lighting plans on the back hood. Buyers will get a choice of traditional gauges and buttons on the dashboard or Ford’s My Touch control system for those who like virtual controls. Engine choices include a 3.7-liter V-6 and a 5-liter Coyote V-8. Car & Driver reported that a 2.3-liter four-banger engine will be added sometime next year. There will also be a 500 horsepower GT model for the muscle Stang fans.
- The 2015 SRT Dodge Barracuda. Not to be outdone, Dodge is replacing its retro Challenger SRT8 with this sleek Italian style machine. Chrysler is taking advantage of the technology and design resources of its new owner, Fiat (which also owns Alpha Romero and Maserati), to create a modern driving machine with a choice of four, six and eight-cylinder engines and a Hemi V-8. Drivers will also get a choice of transmissions.
- The 2016 Toyota FR-S Scion. We don’t know much about this little one, but sportscar fans seem to be excited by it. Some of the features they’re really excited about include a convertible option and a bolt on supercharger from Toyota Racing Development. A lot of them like the turbo FA engine as well. The idea is to counter the hugely popular Mazda Miata. Subaru is also developing its own model in conjunction with Toyota that will be called the BRZ Roadster. The idea behind the BRZ is to get people to associate the words sportscar and Subaru, something nobody would have done a few years ago. Currently, these are listed as a 2016 model year, so they may not be available until 2015.
- 2015 Alfa Romeo Spider. It’s official: the legendary Alfa Romeo will be returning to American shores after a long absence in 2014. The last time a new Alpha was sold in the United States, Bill Clinton was in the White House. Car & Driver’s have spotted Alpha Romeo Spiders at Chrysler’s Michigan test track. The ones seen in Michigan are convertibles with a 1.4-liter engine that’s similar to the Mazda MX-5 Miata. It isn’t known when the Spider will be available to the public. It’ll probably be sold through the same Chrysler dealers currently pushing Fiats.
It looks like 2014 is going to an exciting year for cars. There are going to be some exciting new models at the dealerships for those going car shopping.